Skip to main content

Chicken Piccata - Ina Garten



***Chicken Piccata has always been one of my favorite classic chicken dishes.  When prepared perfectly, it becomes a symphony of lemony goodness!  Ina Garten is without a doubt one of my favorite Food Network personalities, and she does it again with this dish.  Plus, most of us can get bored with cooking chicken all the time...I know I do!  So, this dinner is a great way to spice things up a bit.

One of the things that I love most about this recipe is how the chicken is prepared.  First, it's seared to a golden brown on both sides in a skillet, and then it finishes cooking in the oven.  This ensures that the outside of the chicken is crunchy, while the inside is juicy...Perfect!

The one thing that I changed in Ina's recipe is the addition of a tablespoon or two of capers.  Chicken Piccata just isn't Chicken Piccata without capers, if you ask me!  Be sure to taste the sauce before serving...It's really easy to let the flavors get out of control with this dish...Lemons, capers, and wine are all strong flavors, and you don't want it to be too over-powering. 

Bon Appetit!***

Chicken Piccata
Source:  Ina Garten; Barefoot Contessa

Ingredients:

2 split (1 whole) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 extra-large egg
1/2 tablespoon water
3/4 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
Good olive oil
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons), lemon halves reserved
1/2 cup dry white wine
Sliced lemon, for serving
Chopped fresh parsley leaves, for serving


Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.


Place each chicken breast between 2 sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap and pound out to 1/4-inch thick. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.


Mix the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in a shallow plate. In a second plate, beat the egg and 1/2 tablespoon of water together. Place the bread crumbs on a third plate. Dip each chicken breast first in the flour, shake off the excess, and then dip in the egg and bread crumb mixtures.


Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saute pan over medium to medium-low heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook for 2 minutes on each side, until browned. Place them on the sheet pan and allow them to bake for 5 to 10 minutes while you make the sauce.


For the sauce, wipe out the saute pan with a dry paper towel. Over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter and then add the lemon juice, wine, the reserved lemon halves, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Boil over high heat until reduced in half, about 2 minutes. Off the heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and swirl to combine. Discard the lemon halves and serve 1 chicken breast on each plate. Spoon on the sauce and serve with a slice of lemon and a sprinkling of fresh parsley.

Comments

Memória said…
Bon appétit, indeed! This looks delicious.
I don't know if it is the lighting in your photo or what but that is the prettiest and tastiest looking Chicken Piccata that I have seen in years !
Thank you for this , it is a reminder that I like this dish and can actually find the ingredients easily here lol.
Chau - Candice
Anonymous said…
No capers?
Anonymous said…
Wondering about the capers, as well. They seem to be in the picture but not the recipe.
Anonymous said…
She says that Ina didn't initially put them in her recipe. It says she added them to make it different from the recipe.
Jon C. Kling said…
This is my go-to Italian dish! I have cooked it a dozen times or more and still keep going back to it. So simple and easy to prepare but the flavor profile is over the top. Thanks INA you are the best!! JK

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out